Saturday, March 19, 2011

What makes a hero?

We all have had heroes at some point in our lives. If you're true to yourself, you simply cannot deny this.

I am no exception to this rule.

Heroes can come from any walk of life. They can inspire greatness and sometimes even disappoint.

Think back to some of your heroes. Were they athletes? Perhaps the leader of a country?

When I was growing up I only had a few heroes.

I looked up to Vance Law, who once played third base for the Chicago Cubs.


He wore glasses and it was a time in my young life when I really needed to see someone other that the cast of "Revenge of the Nerds" wearing glasses. Especially since I wore industrial-strength glasses at all times.
Hello Ladies.


As I grew and started playing football, my heroes changed. Enter Dave Butz and Tony Mandarich.



I could write about how Mandarich could still be a hero for how he makes his living now, (www.mandarichmodels.com) but I won't go in to too much detail seeing as how my wife reads this blog.  (love ya honey!!) I will go out on a limb and say life's probably pretty good for Mr. Mandarich. Well played Mr. Mandarich. Well played.

Through college and my professional years I found myself changing.

Some call it maturity. I doubt that's what it was. After all, look at this blog. Is this the writings of a mature, well adjusted adult?

It wasn't maturity. I think it was burnout. You start out thinking you're free. Free to do or become whatever you want. But, shortly, you realize that you're just another cog in a gigantic machine.

To escape you go to movies and watch larger-than-life characters face the bad guys and come out on top. Some of these characters were fictional and others were real people who overcame amazing odds. Take the likes of Rocky, Rudy, the team in "Hoosiers" were all inspirational.

It was one day while watching a movie with my friend Brian Rawlins that I found my inspiration. My "Rocky" if you will.

I was feeling down in the dumps and wishing there was something I would do to change my outlook and society. It was during this time I met the character "D-Fens"


Michael Douglas played "D-Fens" in the movie "Falling Down."  He was a normal guy who had been pushed to his breaking point by life.  The entire movie is about his subtle, seething rampage across L.A. while trying to get to his daughter for her birthday.  On his way he tackles gangs, racists and utility companies, just to name a few. This scene is one of my favorites. *LANGUAGE WARNING*

 Who hasn't wanted to do this? C'mon. Search you feelings. You know you've wanted to do something like this along the interstate.

After the movie was over I told Brian that I had found my "Rocky."  I think deep down he had found his "Rocky" too. Or at the very least his John McClane.

What separates us from our heroes seems to be ability and consequences. Real life heroes have abilities that we can only dream. Movie heroes do things we wish we could without the consequences.

Lack of ability makes us mortal and I guess without consequences we're just monkeys flinging our poop at one another.

2 comments:

  1. I love "Falling Down," watched it again last week. Now, I'll try to post this. Somehow that Select Profile part seems to do a good job of keeping me from doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "Falling Down," watched it again last week.

    ReplyDelete